February 13, 2004

What An Anus

Don Imus is a popular radio personality. His "Imus in the Morning" show is syndicated from coat-to-coast, and Time magazine has called him "one of the 25 most influential people in America".

On his February 10 show, he responded to the news of an Iranian Airliner crash that killed 43 passengers by saying "who cares?". When another commentator pointed to his tasteless and deplorable remark, he again repeats "who cares?" twice and explains that is "How I felt". He then takes it one step further, stating "Too bad it wasn't loaded with Saudi Arabians."

The story is completely ignored by the mainstream media. I suppose it is okay to be insensitive if victims of a tragedy are sand nigger camel-jockeys, even better if they are also towel heads.

The National Iranian American Council has organized a campaign to demand a public apology from Imus and company. I've added my name to it, you may wish to do it too.

UPDATE - I wrote this post earlier and just found out through NIAC that Imus actually apologized on air today. He said; “Probably not something to kid around about… What I said wasn’t good…So I’m Sorry. I apologize to the Iranian people who were offended. I really didn’t mean that. I was fooling around, I was probably stupid. I’m sorry if I made you feel bad… I seldom apologize to anybody about anything. But I am sorry if I made these people feel upset.” Good for him and thanks to all those who wrote him in protest.

Posted by Pedram at February 13, 2004 11:51 PM
Comments

All you have to do is watch Christian broadcasting like the 700 Club to see all the racism against Islam.

Posted by: tenant rights ontario at February 14, 2004 10:47 PM

Surely not! I'm pretty sure Jesus said "Love your neighbor."
That's one of the few really clear messages, unlike all the holy spirit, resurrection, savior stuff. No one could get that part wrong.

Posted by: atmikha at February 15, 2004 09:47 AM

He was, "probably stupid"?????

Posted by: Kristen at February 15, 2004 11:45 AM

It's pretty clear that his apology was most likely written by his PR guy and holds no sincerity whatsoever.

Posted by: Chad at February 15, 2004 01:16 PM

Hey, at least either him or somone else recognized to apologize. Ten yers ago they would have laugh at the idea!!!

Posted by: Ali at February 16, 2004 08:45 PM

Imus is far from being an influential person here in the states. He has a history of overestimating his importance, and frankly I would have considered the source and ignored it if I were Iranian. He is a jerk, a boor, and culturally irrelevant.

Posted by: Tony at February 19, 2004 08:02 AM

Imus and the 700 Club do not represent the feelings of most americans and/or christians just like radical islamic groups do not represent the feelings of most muslims. I hope most people would have the sense to not pay any attention to anything that Imus or the narrow minded bigots on the 700 club.

Posted by: jason at February 19, 2004 08:54 AM

Ignorant boors are to be found everywhere. But to read that someone of his stupendous ignorance has a voice and is a favourite coast to coast is rather a remarkable reflection on the psyche of the Middle America !

Posted by: Peyman at February 19, 2004 01:12 PM

Imus is in the same class of jerk as Rush. He's not the voice of the average American, just the voice of the loud, stupid, and pig-headed. (Now don't get me started or I'll have to tell you how I really feel.)

PS

Keep up the good work on this site!

Posted by: Ray at February 19, 2004 02:53 PM

Pedram,
I am new to this blog thing, so please excuse my blunders. Ifound you through an American website and was instantly impressed by your boldness and daring in running this site. I have also discovered "lady sun" and am equally impressed by her.
I am following the events related to your upcoming elections with great interest. I pray that things will go well for you in the long run, but I fear for people like you and Lady Sun in the short run.
The will and spirit of the Iranian people is inspiring and your country reminds me very much of the founding of our own country. Your struggle against a repressive government is very reminiscent of ours in 1776. If I may refer you to a book by Walter Isaacson about one of our founding heroes, "Benjamin Franklin,An American Life", I think you would find the parellels compelling.
If it is possible, I would very much value a correspondence with you, if not, I will continue to read your site with great interest and hope that you will check in to mine from time to time.
God Bless You and your struggle....

Posted by: Bill Kenkel at February 19, 2004 07:18 PM

I still think its pretty pathetic that people think everything white people do is racist yet they can bash whites and call it funny. Were a nation founded on the christian GOD and yet were supposed to give up our right because it offends others??? What about my rights being violated by having to change my religious beliefs to suit someone elses?

Posted by: Lestat at March 28, 2004 05:18 PM

Would someone please pull the plug on t his jerk? His ignorance, pettiness and negativism are an embarrassment. MSNBC is the last channel I have on in the evening so by default is what comes on the following day. Seldom do I have an opportunity to change the channel before hearing him bash someone who really does have something of value to contribute. Anyone else recognize his favorite attack words are “stupid” and “fat”?

I’m no shrink but life experience shows no surprise he chose drink and drugs to hide from himself. That he has a following to keep him on the air continues to baffle me.

Posted by: avg american at July 30, 2004 04:47 AM