February 02, 2004

Pink Panther

I can't believe I have written about every cartoon character, comic strip and television show that was a big influence on people about my age growing up where I did and I somehow managed to overlook Pink Panther this far. Not the brilliant Peter Sellers character but the animated version that was the ultimate in coolness and poise. I remember being 8 or 9 years old and going to school with the "pink panther walk" almost the entire way. Enjoy the music below:

Posted by Pedram at February 2, 2004 11:53 PM
Comments

The music by itself is a masterpiece. It's made by Henry Mancini.

Web site: http://rds.yahoo.com/S=2766679/K=Henry+Mancini/v=2/SID=w/l=WS1/R=2/SS=96009426/H=1/*-http://members.home.nl/mancini/

Posted by: The Other at February 3, 2004 12:08 AM

Hi! I remember watching pink panther when I was about 7 or 8 years old and it was just so cool, I'm Iranian too :)
I like your site, though it's simple it's really good.
Keep up the great work.

Posted by: Alireza at February 3, 2004 04:39 AM

During primary school, once when our school was camping in Jamshidieh camping complex (northern edge of Tehran up the mountains), a friend of mine shared his secret (imagination) with me. He said: "You know, I think Heaven looks like this nice big garden where they show Pink Panther cartoons everyday" :-)

Posted by: Ali at February 3, 2004 08:29 AM

I sooo remember the pink everything, loved the titled, the clever endings, the rare occasions when they would show the dedective with his big nose and the burgler ...

Who can forget the way he would get all flat after climbing so many stairs, chasing his coin and he would just melt all the way down ... or the classic one when as soon as he would put his paw in the road all the cars would appear and the road would be uncrossable ... ahh the good old days - as always pedram another lovely post. Thanks for writing on so many good memories.
Ali - it seems like everytime there IS a post on something silly you and I both post ... now why is that my complimenting friend? :)

Posted by: bargeboo at February 3, 2004 09:36 AM

Posted by: Leila at February 3, 2004 11:31 AM

This one was the best of the best. I often think about it and together with friend we remind each other the funiest scenes. Remeber that scene in the Ant and Ant eater where the Ant Eater says: "I hate you instant hole!"(of course I remember the farsi translation of it, which was itself a perfect job). Or when he said: This tourist bus passes here only once a year. Ha ha ha. Makes me laugh even now. BTW, the pink panter music is one of the most prominent pop concerts of the 20th century.

Posted by: Jafar at February 3, 2004 06:39 PM

Hey Pedram, nice post. Yeah, I dig Mancini's music too, along with Carl Stalling, Hal Willner, and other such cartoon music composers who nevertheless had a real signature sound, and sometimes a really crazy one at that. Hey, if you like cartoon music, why don't you check out the now defunct rock outfit "Mr. Bungle," particularly their album "California?" Big time cartoon music influence on their work, and one of the most frightening bands in recent times, its so good. An ethnic music music mishmash with swing jazz, rockabilly, western swing, and death metal, sometimes all in the same song. Just a suggestion anyway.

Posted by: taqdeermachen at February 5, 2004 05:08 PM